Saturday, June 7, 2008

Crazy Weather.........

lately. The Midwest has been battered with lots of rain and tornadoes and it seems that last night it was our turn. After my oldest's friends left yesterday afternoon, something told me to get all of my photos (about 500 of them) saved to disks. Since they are high resolution, it too about 4 hours to do that. About 7:30 I looked at weather.com and it had a tornado warning for our area...WHAT????? I read the info and a funnel cloud was sighted in a town about 1/2 hour away and the storms were racing at 55-60 mph. So I had everyone get their shoes and socks on and get stuff to take to the basement. About 20 minutes later it got really freaky looking...
Then we looked to the SW towards town and a bunch of dirt started to swirl upwards. We couldn't see a funnel, but there was definitely some rotation going on there...
And about 20 minutes after that the storms had blown through. There are quite a few trees down in the area and north and east of us there were a few tornadoes spotted. The kiddos playset in the back yard, which has been there for 6 years through many nasty storms, was knocked over and some how missed hitting the deck.

Below are some random pics I took a few days ago of a storm that went north of us. The lightning was fantastic!

3 comments:

DebW said...

Whoa! Cool pics, but I'm so glead I don't live there!!

Becky said...

Awesome pictures. Glad the tornados have missed you.

Unknown said...

love those lightening shots!!! cool!