
(c) 2001 The Record, (Bergen County, NJ).
Hard to believe that 6 years ago this day our country sat in stunned silence. Much like my parents will remember where they were when JFK was assinated, many of my generation will remember where they were and what they were doing when the tragedies of 9/11 happened.
Every morning I would get up around 7 and turn on the TV to the Today Show. I'd started to get breakfast around for Ashton, who was almost 2 and myself. Then watch the Today Show till 9 and turn it to PBS so Ashton could watch her shows while I cleaned, did laundry or whatever.
Matt Lauer came on and said that Tower 1 of the WTC complex was on fire and they thought a plane had hit it. So I kept it on the news and watched in horror as the second tower was hit by another plane. At that point I knew it wasn't an accident, we were under attack. I called mom at work, I was stuned and freaked out (I'm sure pregnancy hormones contributed to it). After getting off the phone with her, the Pentagon was hit. I called Matt's sister, hoping she was at home and not flying anywhere (which she does fly alot for her job) and when she didn't answer I called her cell and left a message, praying she was somewhere safe. After a bit Matt's dad called and we talked for a while. I think he was pretty upset about it too. While talking to him, call waiting went off and it was Lisa, thank God! She was in Boise, ID and don't remember if she didn't know what was going on, or how serious it was, but I remember her being surprised at how freaked out I was until I heard her voice. She was stuck in Boise for several extra days and had to drive to SLC to get a flight home.
I had to get out of the house, so that evening I drove up town by myself. I could not believe all the long lines at the gas station and everyone was stocking up on groceries too. That evening was the bluest, most clear sky I had ever seen. I also could not believe the silence for the next several nights with all the planes grounded. I will never forget that day.
No comments:
Post a Comment